Digital technologies support the commitment to teaching, research and organisational excellence. The University’s Strategic Plan promotes using and innovating with new and relevant industry standard technologies to ensure students have an outstanding learning experience. The Digital Strategy consists of the six commitments set out below.
To provide students with an outstanding learning experience from before application to beyond graduation, we will;
- Provide technology and information that is personalised, intuitive and familiar.
- Enable virtual classrooms, on-line tools and a comprehensive library of e-resources.
- Enable access to teaching and support when you need it.
- Pioneer new approaches to digital inclusion, supporting and developing the digital skills our students need to thrive, in their context, in an increasingly digital world.
- Use and provide digital technologies to benefit students and to extend Chichester’s academic reputation.
Digital technologies in everyday life
To research, consult and adopt the effective and emerging use of digital technologies across, learning, working and living, we will;
- Adopt the technologies and techniques people use in everyday business and social life into University processes and services.
- Ensure our services are always available when you need them.
- Ensure our devices and services integrate well with what you use at home, and that are used in business.
- Support the need for openness, convenience and research objectivity, whilst maintain privacy and integrity.
- Ensure our services are resistant to cyber threats, and that we support the development of skills to maintain safety on-line.
New Ways of Teaching
To adopt established and new methods to extend and enrich learning on and off campus, using digital technology to;
- Enable widespread availability of technologies across the learning and teaching, campus and accommodation spaces.
- Extend the virtual learning environment to enable participation worldwide.
- Ensure our teaching incorporates the digital technologies needed for employment and employability.
- Promote the use of media rich teaching including through lecture recording and enabling audio and video feedback.
- Enable on-line access for sharing teaching and research information.
New Ways of Working
To encourage a digital first approach with accessible information available anytime, anywhere, using digital technologies to;
- Enable collaboration amongst colleagues, partners and international communities.
- Increase cyber awareness and digital skills amongst the University community
- Encourage the development of digitally enabled services to increase timeliness and service quality.
- Ensure privacy by using encryption and authentication for secure exchange and secure storage of information.
- Encourage and enable innovation, business development, employment and employability.
Extending Digital Communities
To develop and improve engagement with all our stakeholders, from prospective students through to business partners, we will;
- Add to Campus and Accommodation WiFi Hotspots, and work with local providers to extend our digital accessibility.
- Use assistive technologies to increase inclusivity and to reduce other barriers such as language and location.
- Invest in ICT training to enable digital inclusion equality and to increase social inclusion.
- Use technologies and work collaboratively with industry to maximise opportunities for employment and employability.
- Work with commercial and academic partners to share in the development of academic excellence, and international research.
To exploit the digital technologies that contribute to achieving the University’s core aims, we will;
- Research and adopt emerging technologies and techniques into our learning, teaching, business and social lives.
- Continuously develop our awareness, and ensure our staff and students have the digital skills they need.
- Invest in the infrastructure, devices, processes and techniques that enable digital learning and research.
- Use ‘standards based’ technologies to ensure information sharing, with maximum cyber and information security.
- Ensure our technologies contribute to an outstanding learning experience for studying, working and future lives.