Support Me - Estate Management Requests

Calls can be logged to Estate Management via the 'Estates' link on the SupportMe home page, e.g. for reporting issues with power sockets, heating, plumbing etc.

Once your call is logged it will be forwarded to the appropriate team, and you'll receive a confirmation email with a call reference number to your university account.

    For all other requests, including for IT and Library services, please visit the Support Me help page.

    If you are unable to use the online service or visit us in person, then please email the SIZ at or phone the SIZ on (01243 81) 6222

    Still need help?