Money advice: general

On this page:

Banking and opening a bank account

There are specific bank accounts available to students that come with benefits such as an interest-free overdraft or freebies like railcards or travel cards.

If you are eligible, it is advisable to open a student bank account with a bank in the local area. 

It is always best to compare accounts and see which one suits your needs best. You will also need to look at any repayment terms of the overdraft: how long after you graduate do you have to repay any overdraft?

Bear in mind that published overdraft limits may not be available to you as overdraft rates will be determined by your credit rating. To find out your current credit rating you can use credit karma to generate a free report

If you are an international student having trouble opening a bank account in the UK, please contact the International team: 

Budgeting and cash flow

The Student Money Advice service can help you to create a budget while at University, and with managing your cash flow. 

More information is also available on the Money advice: money worries help pages.

Cash machines on campus

Cash points are available in the SIZ / LRC on both campuses and in the Students' Union.

Council tax

For information about council tax, including exemption and reduction, please see the Student Handbook.


Fraud is where someone deliberately tricks you to gain information or access to your personal details. This may include things such as bank account details or things like your date of birth and address. They will often use this information for their financial gain against you. 

If you believe you have been a victim of fraud, inform the police.

ActionFraud is the UK’s national fraud and internet crime reporting centre.

If you require short term support whilst any fraud committed against you is being investigated, please book an appointment with a Student Money Adviser


The University doesn’t provide insurance for those living in campus accommodation. This means that if an item of yours is stolen or damaged in halls, you will be responsible for the cost of replacement. It is also very important when you move into private accommodation that you have cover in place to protect any damage to your landlord's property.

In order to protect your valuables (such as technology, gadgets and musical instruments) the NUS recommends Endsleigh, but there are many other providers to choose from.

Helpful web resources

You may find the Save the Student web resources useful, including the Save the student - tools website and the online version of the cheat sheet at Save the student - takeaway

Student Money Advice Service at the University

Please contact the Student Money Advice Service for more information on any of these topics, or with other queries about your finances.

Still need help?