Health advice: general

On this page:

Addiction: alcohol / drugs


University: Drop-in to see the nurse health advisers in the health centre on campus or book an appointment via to see a counsellor.

Website: Alcoholics Anonymous

Website: Drink Aware – information about alcohol and drinking

Helpline: Free help and support from Chichester Wellbeing

Helpline: Chichester Community Substance Misuse Team: 01243 530919


Website: Talk to Frank – confidential, unbiased information about drugs

Website: West Sussex Drug and Alcohol Recovery Service

Helpline: Chichester Community Substance Misuse Team: 01243 530919 / Drug and Alcohol Wellbeing Network: 0330 128 1113 

Helpline: Frank drugs helpline: 0300 123 6600


If you have a severe allergy please see the nurse health advisers who can help create a support plan for you and ensure that all relevant members of staff have copies of it in case of emergencies.

Website: NHS condidtions – Allergies

Cancer support

Helpline: Macmillan Cancer Support – call free Monday to Friday 9am to 8pm: 0808 808 0000.

Website: NHS conditions - Cancer


Website: NHS conditions - diabetes

University: please register with the nurse health advisers for support, monitoring and formulation of a support plan to circulate to relevant members of staff.

University: please make the Accommodation Office aware if you are living in University halls -

Diet / healthy eating

Website: Healthy eating advice from NHS Live Well - Eat Well.

Doctors surgeries / GPs / registering with a GP

University: The University recommends that all students register with a local GP unless there is good reason for continuing care with your GP at home. Information about local GPs is available on the university web pages.

Registration forms can be obtained from the Health Centres at both campuses.

Alternatively, the Nurse Health Advisers offer a drop-in service on both campuses.


Epilepsy is a condition that affects the brain and causes repeated seizures, which were sometimes previously referred to as 'fits'.

If you have an epilepsy and have not told anyone at the University, please disclose to one of the Nurse Health Advisers, the Disability and Dyslexia Service, your academic adviser, and the Accommodation Office if you are living in University accommodation.

Website: more information about epilepsy from NHS conditions - Epilepsy.


EpiPen is used to treat severe allergic reactions (anaphylaxis) to insect stings or bites, foods, drugs and other allergens. 

If you have an EpiPen please make this known to one of the University Nurse Health Advisers as well as your academic adviser, and the Accommodation Office if you are living in University accommodation.

Immunisations / vaccinations

Please make sure you have received your Meningitis ACWY vaccination and both MMR vaccinations prior to arrival at University. We also recommend having the COVID vaccinations.  Please contact the Nurse Health Advisers if you need to arrange theses vaccinations as soon as possible after you arrive.

If you are not sure about the immunisations you need drop in and see the Nurse Health Advisers. Alternatively, you can visit your GP.

Also have a look at the Immunisations and Meningitis page on the University's external website, as well as the Meningitis section on this page (below).


    Meningitis is an infection of the protective membranes that surround the brain and spinal cord.  This infection causes these membranes (the meninges) to become inflamed, which in some cases can damage the nerves and brain.

    From Aug 2015 all school year 13 and University students up to the age of 25 have been offered the Men ACWY vaccine as part of the NHS vaccination programme. This is due to the rise in cases of meningitis and septicaemia (blood poisoning) caused by a deadly strain of MenW.

    All students are advised to get the Men ACWY vaccination from their GPs:

    • Students should check their MMR vaccination status with their home GP
    • It is recommended you receive two MMRs
    • It is also recommended you have a Meningitis vaccination and booster prior to commencing
    • Vaccination print-out should be brought when registering with your new GP as it will enable any required vaccinations to be given at planned drop-in clinics on campus 

    Website: See the NHS conditions - Meningitis website for more information.


    If you regularly take prescription medication or are unsure about new medication, ask the Nurse Health Advisers for information and advice.

    NEAD (Non-Epileptic Attack Disorder)

    Non-Epileptic Attack Disorder (NEAD) occurs in around 2 or 3 people in every 10,000. There are different types of NEAs. Some people experience a number of different types of attacks, the most common type of NEA looking similar to epileptic convulsions.

    If you know or think you may have NEAD, please see one of our Nurse Health Advisers.

    Website: further information about NEAD.


    University: the University's policy on smoking is available on the policies page on the external website (under health and safety policies)

    University: the Nurse Health Advisers can give advice and support to stop smoking.

    Website: West Sussex Wellbeing.

    The Student Health Service at the University

    Please contact the Student Health Service for more information on any of these topics, or with other queries about your health.

    Still need help?