It is important that the University has an accurate record of attendance. The expectation is that students attend all timetabled sessions for each module.
Each department has a student attendance management coordinator if you have any questions
How to record your attendance
- For most scheduled sessions, you will need to 'tap in' to record your attendance. You do this by tapping your campus card on a card reader in the teaching room
- For areas that do not have card readers, your tutor will tell you what you need to do
How to view information about your attendance
From ChiView select the My Attendance and Log an Absence tile
From the student attendance management system you can use:
- the calendar tab - your timetabled sessions and, for sessions that have passed, your attendance. You can see by month or week or as a list view
- the student profile tab - your details (if you would like to change any of the information please contact Academic Registry)
- the attendance tab - a summary of your attendance for the current academic year
- add absence button - to record an absence
When to record an absence
You need to record an absence form if one of five reasons apply. If you:
- are / likely to be off for more than 5 working days due to a non-health related issue
- are / likely to be off for more than 5 working days due to a health issue
- have had a close family bereavement
- are on jury service
- are attending an approved professional event
How to record an absence
- In ChiView, select the My Attendance tile
- From your attendance view, click on the Add Absence button
- Complete the online form with the following:
- Date and time of the absence
- The type of absence (select from the dropdown list)
- Leave the Letter field as [None]
- Your email (where the absence acknowledgement will be sent)
- Any additional comments (you are advised to NOT add sensitive information here)
- Select Save
Changing an absence
If you have recorded an absence but are subsequently able to attend, please try to change the absence by the end of the week in which the session took place.
You can change the absence afterwards but it may affect the level of attendance shown in the system.
Being incorrectly marked as absent on your SAM calendar
If you notice that you have been marked as absentfor a session you did attend, you will need to speak to your module tutor.
- Remember to 'tap in' to record your attendance to timetabled sessions
- Tutors will advise how to record attendance for sessions in areas that do not have a card reader
- Keep track of your attendance and record absences of more than 5 days through ChiView
- [LINK] Each department has a student attendance management coordinator if you have any questions
Student attendance management training
More information and guides to SAM are available on Moodle.