Using the MS Word Plugin
- Desktop Mendeley must be installed in order to use the plugin in Word.
- Before you start, open a Word document and close it again.
- You may have chosen to install the MS Word plugin when you first registered for your account, but if not, go to “Tools” then Install MS Word Plugin. Y
- Once the plugin is installed, open a new Word document.
- Go to references on the Word toolbar. The tools for Mendeley are displayed.
- Select your referencing style from the drop-down menu.
- Start typing your document, then place the cursor where you want a citation to be inserted in the text.
- Choose insert citation from the toolbar, and search for relevant reference in your Mendeley library (start typing a few letters and a list of your relevant references appears).
- Click on the relevant reference to insert an in-text citation.
- Continue writing and adding citations.
- Place your cursor at the end of the document and click on “Insert bibliography”. Your bibliography will appear in your chosen style.
- Check the references to make sure they display correctly. You may need to edit a record in Mendeley.
Edit a record in Mendeley
- Go to Mendeley desktop and highlight the relevant reference in the central panel.
- The details of the record appear in the right-hand panel.
- Make sure the reference type is correct, for example journal article.
- Scroll down to check all the fields in the record.
- Edit as necessary by clicking in the field and typing your changes.
- You can also add keywords and tags in this panel.
Editing an in-text citation in MS Word
- Go to the citation and click inside the bracket (citation turns grey).
- Click on Edit Citation in the Mendeley toolbar.
- A pop-up box appears. Within the box, click to the right of the citation you wish to edit, leaving no spaces.
- Edit your reference, for example, add page numbers or suppress author and click on OK.
- The edits will appear in your text.
Delete a citation from your document
- Highlight the reference, then use delete key to remove it.
- Click on “Refresh” in the Mendeley references tab.
Save an unformatted copy of your document
- In the Mendeley toolbar in Word, go to “Export as”.
- Select “without Mendeley fields”. This creates an unformatted document which can be submitted for marking.