Managing your password (including resetting your password and unlocking your account)
There are several ways you can manage your password.
1. If you want to change your password and you are logged on to a Windows open access machine, you can press control-alt-delete to access a change password option
2. Enrol on our online password manager, FastPass
This enables you to:
- Reset your password (if your password doesn't work, or you forget it)
- Unlock your account (if it locks due to 3 incorrect attempts)
You can use FastPass on or off campus.
When you have enrolled on FastPass and subsequently want to reset your password or unlock your account, you will need to answer some of the security questions you set up during enrolment.
You can access any of the FastPass features (enrol, reset, unlock) at: fastpass.chi.ac.uk
In addition to the direct url, there are two other ways to get to FastPass:
- From the Student and Staff Links page on the University website, select the FastPass tile
- If you are on campus, log in to a Windows machine with the username help and no password (left blank) and select the Password Self Service option
3. You can also contact SIZ to have your password reset. Please remember that this option is available during SIZ opening times. We recommend you enrol on FastPass in case you need to unlock your account or reset your password outside of these times.
We strongly recommend that you change your University password regularly (please note, staff will be prompted to change their password).
When setting your password, make sure it conforms to the University's password policy:
- Between 8 and 16 characters
- Include three of: uppercase characters, lowercase characters, numbers, symbols
- New (it cannot be a previously used password)
- Original (it cannot include your first name, last name, or username)