- From the folders panel on the left-hand side, choose “create folder”.
- Give the folder a name and press return.
- The folder will now be listed in the folders pane.
- Go to the All Documents folder. Highlight a reference and drag and drop it from the central reference panel into your new folder.
- All your documents will always be stored in the All Documents folder as well as any folders you add them to.
Search for authors
- Use the filter author function on the left-hand side to find all the documents by a particular author.
- Click on “Clear” to return to the all document listing.
Read, search and annotate PDFs
- A reference with an attached PDF will display a small PDF icon next to its listing in Mendeley desktop
- Either click on the PDF icon, or double click on the reference to open Mendeley's PDF Reader.
- You can add notes and highlight text using the options on the top toolbar.
- Your personal notes will appear in the record details. Add general notes or keywords here to enable you to retrieve them later. You can add individual keywords on separate lines.
- Once you have finished adding notes, close the PDF by clicking the x in the PDF tab.
- The notes will be saved automatically.
Search your notes
- In the search box at the top right of the screen, select “Note” from the drop-down menu (this is a very tiny arrow on the left within the search box).
- Enter your keywords and search to find all the PDFs with those keywords added.
Add a Watch Folder
- If you save PDFs to a folder on your device, you can make this your “Watch Folder”. This means that any PDF documents you add to this folder will automatically be added to your Mendeley library.
- Go to file, Watch Folder.
- Navigate to the relevant folder and tick the box.
- Click on Apply, then OK.