ChiPlayer is our branded version of commercial software called Panopto. It is a lecture capture software that allows lecturers to record PowerPoint, audio, video, and capture their desktop during a lecture. It can also be utilised for student group work, video assignment submissions, flipped classrooms and assessment feedback via video.
Recordings are viewed online and so you can access your videos from anywhere you have an Internet connection.
Lecture recordings can be recorded directly into Moodle and be made available to students straight away through the ChiPlayer block on the Module page.
When viewing the recording back, you can see any PowerPoint slide and go to that part of the video by clicking on them. There is also a contents area where you can click to parts of the video and there is a discussion area (public) and a notes area (private) where viewers can make comments that are timestamped to jump to that part of the video when clicked on
You can also use the search box, which will tell you anytime that the search term has appeared in the slides the contents, the notes, comments or anytime that that word was said.
There is also a quiz function that allows lecturers to set quizzes during playback.
As well as recording directly into ChiPlayer you can also upload recordings from a variety of sources. ChiPlayer is also great for capturing guest lectures, theatre and dance events, and can also live stream from one room to another.
More ChiPlayer help pages:
- Staff - Adding ChiPlayer to your Module
- Accessing and Installing the ChiPlayer / Panopto recorder
- Making a recording in ChiPlayer
- Uploading an existing recording to ChiPlayer
- Staff - Embed a ChiPlayer Video into your Moodle page
- Editing your ChiPlayer video
Additional help pages
- Sharing a video in ChiPlayer
- ChiPlayer Settings - renaming and moving recordings
- Staff - Copying ChiPlayer videos from last years module to this years one
- Downloading ChiPlayer (Panopto) onto a personal device
Assignments in ChiPlayer
- Students - Using ChiPlayer for Assignments
- Staff - Setting up ChiPlayer for Assignments or student recordings
- Submitting a video assignment: Premiere Pro to ChiPlayer assignment folder
Webcasting and Live streaming
- Setting up a webcast link in ChiPlayer
- Ad hoc Livestreaming in ChiPlayer
- Questions, Comments, and Notes during live broadcasts
There are three elements to ChiPlayer, the recorder, the website where the recordings are stored and can be edited and the ChiPlayer Block in Moodle which allows students to view videos through their modules.